The Longest Day is the name of a book by the late author Cornelius Ryan, that describes in painstaking detail from the point of view of participants who were actually there – the June 6, 1944 Normandy D-Day landings.
Today is June 6 – the 72nd anniversary of the storming of the beaches by Allied troops under withering German fire that caused at least 10,000 casualties, with over 4,000 confirmed dead during the assault.
It was – and remains – the largest seaborne invasion in history. A staggering total of nearly 7,000 vessels supported the invasion, including over 1,200 warships. (Of note: the battleship Texas, now moored as a museum ship at San Jacinto, Texas, slugged it out with a German shore battery on invasion day)
The planning for this event began in May of 1943. In just over a year, the Allies were ready to launch their assault – landing over 156,000 men in ONE DAY.
So – why can’t people take the steps to call 811 and wait 48 hours to get lines marked before digging?
Nothing could be easier or pay greater dividends in excavation safety than calling 811 – or using one of Texas811’s mobile apps – or going through the Portal on our website. There’s just no excuse for not using this free service.
Planning made D-Day the success it was. Planning will also make your excavations successful. We’re not asking you think a year in advance – only 48 hours.
Because if you don’t think ahead and hit a buried gas line – believe me: that will be YOUR longest day.
Now, for those of you keeping up – I promised to update my weight loss program right here every week. I started at 219 pounds on January 4. Still holding at 209.
Finally, you may remember that I’ve been restoring a 1959 German radio receiver, a Loewe Opta model. At the last post I had solved the overheating issue in the power supply by using a 10 watt, 100 ohm wirewound ceramic resistor installed between the new full wave rectifier “+” leg and one leg of the 50/50 uf 500 volt dual filter capacitor to compensate for the voltage difference between the new diode rectifier which replaced the original selenium version which was junk. And when finally connected back to the speakers, I could actually pull in some stations. Unfortunately, they were being heavily masked by a loud 60 cycle hum in the system, which I theorized was due to a chassis grounding issue. I took some time to go over the internal grounding points…fixed one….and turned up the power.
How about that! My multimeter shows a clean surge voltage of about 375 volts as it takes power, then smoothing down to 200 volts as tube heaters warm up and capacitors charge. I played it for four hours on Sunday and all voltages and temperatures remained within specs. Still have to get rid of all the temporary alligator clip connections and solder them tight, plus clean out the bass/treble/volume controls of 56 years’ worth of gunk, and do a few more tests, but it’s about ready to be reinstalled into the piece of furniture it lives in! The two bright lights you see are used to illuminate the radio dial from within, giving it a beautiful amber glow.
Until next week, safe digging!