Have you finally decked out your backyard just the way you like it, but find it’s still missing something? Consider DIYing your own backyard stepping stones to spruce up your outdoor space. Stepping stones are fairly easy to make yourself, and they can really transform your backyard. You can personalize them however you want, and even get the kids involved!
- a mold, like a plastic plant tray or pizza box
- mortar mix, like Quikrete
- large bucket
- rubber gloves (not the thin hosptial kind)
- mixing tool
- paper mask
- protective eyewear
- paper towels
- craft sticks
- decorative items (pieces of glass, stones, marbles, small plastic figures, etc.)
- Poke a few holes if you have a plastic tray to allow for drainage. If you chose something like a pizza box, secure the edges with some sturdy tape.
- Plan your stepping stone design with a paper template. It’s important to do this before you start, because the mortar will dry fairly quickly.
- Grab your mortar and mix it. The consistency should be similar to thick frosting. It’s best to begin with water and pour in the mortar a cup at a time, stirring as you go. This is the time you will want to wear your protective eyewear and a paper mask.
- Put on your gloves, pour the mortar into your mold and knead the mix until there are no bubbles. Use the trowel to smooth the top, but make sure it’s not runny.
- Now you can begin to decorate your stepping stones, embedding your decorative items into the wet mortar. Make sure they don’t sink by placing them gently on surface of the concrete.
- Let your stones dry in a protected area. It’s best to let them set overnight, but should really only take a few hours.
- Once it’s completely dry, turn over your mold and gently pop the stone out.