Who should call Texas811 before initiating a digging project?
- EVERYONE! And, do you know that Texas is the national leader in providing damage prevention notification services?
What exactly is Texas811, and who should become a member?
- Texas811 is a non-profit, member-directed corporation providing utility damage prevention services on behalf of more than 1,400 facility operator members.
- Facility owners/operators typically join because they have an interest in being notified by Texas811 prior to when digging will take place near their underground facilities. Excavators file a ticket to get underground lines marked before work begins. They are issued a ticket number, and Texas811 distributes the related information to all applicable utilities. Notification must be made at least 48 hours in advance of the commencement of work.
- In 1998, the Texas Damage Prevention Law became effective. It applies to excavation, demolition and safety requirements. Read about the “Legend of Texas811.”
Benefits of Texas811 membership
- Awareness and advance notification. Members of Texas811 receive notification of planned digging near their underground facilities.
- Clear understanding of project scope. Texas811 will tell you which facility operators will be notified about your excavation near their underground lines.
- Value. A means to assist with effective project planning and safety.
- Record-keeping trail. A reference number that serves as a proof of your call. We also keep a complete record of your call to verify your compliance with the law.
- It’s easy. It requires no contract with its member companies.
- Knowledge made easily accessible. Discover information about the state laws you need to be aware of and follow.
- Experience. Access to a non-profit notification center with technology that serves about 25 percent of all U.S. locate requests.
- We speak your language. Bilingual customer service representatives are available to serve English- and Spanish-speaking callers.
- Clear direction. A member-elected Board of Directors serves member companies, excavators and the general public and represents more than 1,300 utility operators.
- Quality. Texas811 is member directed and operates under strict quality control.
- Easy way to manage your tickets. All members enjoy access to free online ticket-management software.
Does membership cost anything?
- Membership in Texas811 itself has no cost, but there is a fee per ticket.
- Texas811 services are billed at $0.95 cents per notification, regardless of the member company size.
- There are no additional charges for notification tickets to be distributed to multiple locations, re-sent tickets or “Diggin’ Texas” safety seminars at conferences, safety meetings and with individual excavators.
How do I join?
- You may sign up for the Texas811 portal here.
- Access a member information packet containing specific membership details here.
Remember, Texas811 is all about safety. Efforts of damage prevention managers, member companies, excavators, contract locators, municipalities and other stakeholders ensure that damage prevention remains a top priority across our great state of Texas. Won’t you join us?